License Requirements Checklist
We include the following document with every certificate that we send out as a courtesy to our students and to let them know what to do next to get their license.
So you've passed the Texas Adult Drivers Education course and gotten your certificate in the mail. Now what? The next step is to take the enclosed certificate (that expires two years from the issue date) to the Department of Public Safety and turn it into a learner’s permit or driver’s license. If you do not know how to drive and want to legally practice on public streets then you will need to get a learner’s permit. If you already know how to drive and feel comfortable taking the in-car test at the Department of Public Safety, then tell the Department of Public Safety employee that you want to take a Class C Road Test.
In order to get the learner’s permit or to take the road test (to get your driver’s license), please take your original Social Security Card and one of the following documents with you:
- An original birth certificate issued by a US state plus one other original form of I.D. like a school record, a diploma, a G.E.D., vehicle title, voter registration card, or insurance policy that is at least two years old or you can use #2 through #9.
- a current, valid U.S. passport or
- a current, valid foreign passport, with a valid visa if you are new to America or
- a valid Texas Identification Card or
- a valid, unexpired, out of state license or identification card
- U.S. military I.D. card or discharge papers or
- Resident Alien card/Green card or
- Border crossing card or
- Citizenship papers
- Residency requirements (see http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/residencyReqNonCDL.htm)
- Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Impact Texas Drivers Course Certificate
If you feel unsure about the required documents please contact your local Department of Public Safety office for further details.
Locations of different driver’s license offices can be found at https://www.driverseducationofamerica.com/dps/
Good luck and thank you for choosing
Drivers Education of America
If you have any questions, please call us at (972) 675-8700.
If this was a positive experience please tell a friend about our Texas Adult Drivers Education course.
Referrals are our favorite customers.